Friday, June 14, 2013

Paying to read...

So several comments and e-mails have me thinking.  A comment was made on how writing was a hobby for me, and since I was not getting "paid" I had to be in the right frame of mind and have the time to write some more.  This not only is for Lapdancing 05, but all my stories, as I tend to do one at a time with a large amount of time in between.  Several people have stated they would not mind paying for a full e-book once a story was completed.

Time lately for me is the big issue.  Summers are the worst, as my free time is extremely limited with little to no time to write.  My kids are up for the summer, there is more going on at work, and there is just general real life chaos going on that the winter months do not have.

Anyways, some comments were made how some of you wouldn't mind paying for full stories when they are completed and it got me thinking.  I read a blurb where Charles Dickens "serialized" his stories...printing out a chapter here and there in the newspapers and when he finished a story, would publish it as a book. All of that got me thinking...

I've mentioned in the past I was planning on putting together some 3D Graphics to go with the stories, making various scenes as I see them and posting them somewhere.  What I was thinking is the possibility of once a story is completed, publish it in its entirety as an illustrated book.

I don't see offering the full story for pay for when you can read the chapters on Literotica.  And short of pulling the chapters off the site (something I know some authors have done and which I have no intentions of doing), I feel something "extra" needs to be offered that you cannot get for free...and I'm thinking the illustrations may be that thing.

I've been illustrating my Skyrim story, but that's been screenshots from the game.  These would be totally original art renders, but would be something I would feel more comfortable about asking money for than just compiling the chapters into one e-book...

What do people think?  Granted I am not the best 3D artist out there, but I hope to make things at least viable.  Just something to think about...and I'm a long way from finishing any of my stories, LOL...

8 comments:

  1. For me I like to know what the girls look like in written form (saying they look like model X helps)measurments etc. From there on its all mental (for me at least)illustrations don't do anything for me. But it will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks, as I stated in an earlier post I do think your lapdancer and anne stories are of quality worth paying for. In the future releasing a teaser chapter first followed by payable chapters maybe might work........ still that's my two cents lol, still whatever you decide I will look at with interest ..... luck with your muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years ago Doc's Lab had a 500 words a day contest. One of the best stories to come out of that was called Jacquline's Choice about a woman slowly being turned into an anthro leopard, her battle a member of the Seelie Court and how her relationship changed with her husband.

    The author later took the story, had it illustrated and laid out and posted it on Smash Words, Amazon and Barnes & Noble. There are some major differences between the story on Doc's forum and the one being sold–illustrations by MamaBliss and a change in the direction the story took.

    I don't see why you can't do the same, I'd suggest you not giving up your day job but you can still write and make a name for yourself as a writer within the erotic fiction genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the idea is very interesting. The description of outfits etc are very important when I read a good story. An illustrated version would be right up my alley. And I wouldn't mind paying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm good with the idea. Like the pictures you post as inspiration.
    Would pay to see an illustrated version of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I write stories myself I always search for pictures and add them to the text to sort of ’set the scene’. I don’t do it for any other reason than its fun to do, and it helps with inspiration as well. I guess that’s probably why you do it as well. I have also thought of doing my own 3D pictures, but there would be a cost, and I’m not sure I would be any good at it. However, having already seen your stuff, I would say that’s not a problem for you. If I had your talent, I would definitely go for it – for my own pleasure. Having the pictures integrated in the story would make a great reading experience. Actually, if I were you I would take it even further and look into the possibility of putting background sound in as well. You almost have a complete playlist described already – why not put it in there? There may be some copyright issues there though if you are charging money for the story – hmmm just a thought….
    Long story short – Yes I think making an illustrated Pdf of the whole story is a great idea, and I would do it anyway, if I were you ;-)

    In the meantime – looking forward to Lap05!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I collect pictures while I'm writing for the same reason...hence why I started sharing them. They definitely set the mood in terms of what scene, clothing, or whatever I am describing and let everybody know what I am envisioning as I write about something. It's all about the descriptive process--I don't feel you can write about something well enough in your head without an actual image to base it upon.

      As you said, putting together the soundtrack and such would be too close to copyright issues if I charged for them, but the images would be my own. Those take time, but I had already planned on putting together an illustrated version of the stories so this plays well into that. Right now the biggest thing is getting the stories completed, hehehe!

      Delete
    2. The idea of illustrating is excellent, even some simple animation can be integrated into a digital book but, the drawback in using animation or audio clips is that the RIAA and MIAA get involved and want their cut of anything you use or create. A writer's agent can be rather greedy but they are not as venal and mercenary as the music and recording people can be.

      Delete
  6. Thanks everybody for the comments! It is something I will definitely consider...the big thing now is just getting the stories COMPLETED, but in my "spare" time I'll work on the images, which is something I've already been planning on doing, this just adds a new twist to the idea!

    ReplyDelete