Thursday, December 22, 2016

Ponderings...

Last night I was in a writing mood, but did not know what to write.  Looking for inspiration, I went to Literotica...

I was disappointed.  Every story I tried to read had so many grammar flaws, so many mistakes and incomplete sentences, and what I thought was even worse, disjointed plots and sentences that made the stories unreadable.  It was as if somebody pulled a bunch of sex scenes from a bin and then had a fourth grader add them together to make a story.  Actually, I think a fourth grader's grammar would be better.

This is not the first time I've been disappointed trolling Lit.com...but it was not as apparent as last night when I spent THREE hours going over stories trying to find something that triggered some spark.

Am I alone in thinking stories have been going downhill...or has it always been like this and I never noticed?  People have said they enjoy my writings because they are involved, they are descriptive, and they have plots above the average "this is my hot wife, we had my friend come over and she spread her legs and let him fuck him" type stories.

Have I become too picky and cynical in my writing career that nothing but my own work seems to meet expectations?  I don't think I'm great...I'm not that egotistical, but from what I saw last night, I write a whole lot better than the majority of people who are posting on Lit these days.

Makes me wonder how some of the bad comments I've gotten even arose when there is so much crap already out there, LOL.

Anyways, my 0.02 cents worth...needless to say, found nothing really to light that spark and went to bed frustrated and not having touched any of my stories...hopefully better luck these next few days when I have some quiet and alone time  ;)

5 comments:

  1. My theory is that the amount of free time available to everybody has been on the decline for years, impacting on the amount of literature available and the quality. Art takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I use lit way less than I used to, the quality is not what it was. One of the reasons im happy to buy your book (one day books lol) Is that you do produce memorable quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just realised I still come on here to check for updates every day, so you must have something that most on lit have not. So keep up the filthy work and happy christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't usually go to Literotica for the lit side of things, the erotica was my favorite. But I've noticed some good authors going away from there and other sites, or good sites going down or getting away from erotica. Greyarchive once had great stories, years ago. Now I think it's just a forum where people bitch about politics.

    Some writers have gone to publishing on Amazon or Smashwords, or privately. I know Stormbringer has been writing for online comics, which probably gives him more income than writing for free. There's a lot of other erotica writers on Patreon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have RSS feeds set up to watch Literotica, and I check them several times a week. There are plenty of weeks where I don't add a single story to my queue, but that's subject to my whims based on title and description, and even though I'm often disinterested in new stories, I do still have a pretty long queue.
    Yours have been some of the best, definitely.

    I have aspirations of writing (but I have aspirations for all kinds of things, too), and as lookatall mentioned, there's just not enough time in the day to do it. Slowly planning out story arcs... might end up becoming so big it's too overwhelming to start, though.

    ReplyDelete